Group claims dead in Duterte’s drug war now at 13,000

News Philippines Aug 24, 2017 at 4:15 pm

Justice-for-Kian-Photo-by-Obet-de-CastroBy Mart D. Sambalud
Bulatlat.com

DAVAO CITY, Philippines—Human rights advocates demand the Duterte administration to end the spate of killings as the casualties of the bloody war on drugs now stood at 13,000.

“The human rights situation in the Philippines has become far worse than how it was in the first quarter of President Duterte’s term as head of the Republic,” said Kira Miranda, spokesperson of human rights group Katungod-Sinirangan Bisayas.

Miranda said the President’s statements has “tolerated extra-judicial killings” and the government’s war on drugs has claimed more than 13,000 civilians as a result of the operations of the Philippine National Police and vigilante groups.

Government officials have branded figures of human rights groups critical of the anti-drug war as “exaggerated”.

As of July 26, government’s data show an estimate of 3,451 drug-related personalities killed since July last year.

(Read story…)