Community

Rowena-Santos-at-Talalayan

Councillor Rowena Santos at Talakayan Radyo Filipino

Brampton City Councillor-elect Rowena Santos and parents Roque and Fe Santos, special guests of Talakayan Radyo Filipino show at Pinoy Radio Station, with TRF producer May Cabrias and granddaughter Makayla and staff Bobby Achacon, Nelson Galvez and Tony A. San Juan on November 17, 2018. (Photo provided by May Cabrias)

Posted 2 weeks ago by

AJ-Tamiza-LeChazz

Stand up comedians AJ Tamiza, Le Chazz in T.O.

The Dazzlers Entertainment, together with JJavier Digital Media and JVF Productions, will present a stand-up comedy show to welcome 2019 at the Toronto Pavilion (located at 190 Railside Road, Toronto) on January 12, 2019, Saturday. The show will feature the exciting comedian/singer tandem of AJ Tamiza and Le Chazz, regular performers in Philippine television and  at 

Posted 2 weeks ago by

Nov9-12_2018_TOP-Cover

Parliament adopts June as Filipino Heritage Month

By Ysh Cabana The Philippine Reporter They came by the busload to witness the official announcement in Ottawa and to express appreciation of the Filipino community, celebrating after the passage of Motion 155. Several groups, from Ottawa, Montreal, and Toronto, joined the receptions at the Parliament Hill with dignitaries that include Prime Minister Justin Trudeau 

Posted 1 month ago by

Councillor Jocelyn Curteanu: More minority 
representation needed in political office

Pinay Canadian wins third term as Councillor in Whitehorse, Yukon

By Irish Mae Silvestre The Philippine Reporter Being a city councillor at Whitehorse, Yukon isn’t easy. Jocelyn Curteanu, 48, who was recently elected for a third term, juggles the part-time councillor position with a job at CanNor (Canadian Northern Economic Development Agency). And she’s also a mother to her four children: Jordan, 27, Brendan, 20, 

Posted 1 month ago by

_DSC8296

From Tondo girl, to caregiver to global wine expert

Filipina Sommelier Arlene Oliveros By Irish Mae Silvestre The Philippine Reporter Arlene Oliveros, 39, has long believed in the Philippines’ untapped potential as a foodie destination. The Filipino-Canadian sommelier and enogastronomist is working to push her home country to the forefront of the latest food movements. “If you look at how we utilize our resources 

Posted 1 month ago by

GINA ORTIZ JONES

Fil-Am Gina Ortiz Jones not conceding U.S. Congress seat

The official tally: Ortiz Jones lost by just 689 votes. But her campaign has not yet conceded (as of Nov. 7). If she wins, she would be the first Filipina-American in U.S. Congress, and first openly gay Congresswoman from Texas. By José Victor ‘Jayvee’ Salameña Texas, USA–Gina Ortiz Jones, the Filipino-American Democratic candidate for Texas’s 

Posted 1 month ago by

RACHELLE CRUZ

My #MeToo Story

#FilipinasSpeakOut By Rachelle Cruz It took awhile for me to write about this because I was going through the motions and many emotions. I went from angry to hurt to disappointed to vengeful back to angry and so forth. I finally want to share this with you because in the end, I realized that it’s 

Posted 1 month ago by

JEFF CANOY

2018 McLuhan Fellow to speak in T.O., Nov. 13

Jeff Canoy, ABS-CBN broadcast journalist Jeff Canoy, 2018 McLuhan Fellow and ABS-CBN broadcast journalist, will speak in Toronto on Nov. 13, 2018, on “Reporting from the Margins: The Role of Journalism in covering crises and conflict situations.” The presentation and forum will be on Tuesdsy, Nov. 13, 2018, 6:30 p.m. to 9 p.m. at Room 

Posted 1 month ago by

ofw_e-card_dummy

PH government rolls out new OFW e-Card

By Ysh Cabana The Philippine Reporter “Simple delivery of government services” is what a new identification card for overseas Filipino workers (OFW) promises to provide as it was officially launched on Tuesday November 6, 2018. Making the announcement in Pasay City, Philippine Labour Secretary Silvestre Bello III said the OFW e-card is an upgrade from 

Posted 1 month ago by

The PMB KIDS (from left): Eula Mae Flores, Rana Cruz, Samantha Chayapan Hardy, Khalil Barton, Nelia Lewis and Kween Ella Bernardo who performed at the event.

$4,300 raised in Barrie by Migrante

Fundraiser for Typhoon Ompong survivors While we are saddened by the human and material losses left in the wake of this disaster, we celebrate the resilience and the resoluteness of a people collectively engaged in recovery and rehabilitation. … we appeal to you all for solidarity and support. (From PMB’s introductory remarks delivered by Ms. 

Posted 1 month ago by