Community

NEPMCC-logo

National News Media, National Ethnic Press Council align

TORONTO– The National NewsMedia Council of Canada is excited to announce a new alliance with the National Ethnic Press and Media Council of Canada This agreement will amplify the reach of both organizations on issues of shared concern, such as press freedom, multicultural representation in the media, news literacy, and journalism ethics. “This landmark agreement 

Posted 1 month ago by

Labour Day Reality Check

Gov’t employees take 65% more sick days than private workers Government employees take an average of 11.2 days per year, while private sector employees take 6.8 days per year  Statistics Canada data shows substantial differences by province and level of government OTTAWA–The Canadian Taxpayers Federation (CTF) today released a comparison of employee sick day data 

Posted 1 month ago by

Free Tagalog class

Free Filipino language class culture day

Saturday, Sept.30, 2017; 2:00 p.m. to 3:30 pm “Canadians speaking more languages than ever before, Tagalog fastest-growing mother tongue” …was the recent banner headline of Global News (Aug. 2, 2017). First and foremost, Tagalog is not the mother tongue (official language) of the Philippines. Worst, TAGALOG IS NOT EVEN A LANGUAGE! Tagalog is a dialect 

Posted 1 month ago by

ATC

Automotive Training Centre holds Annual Student Appreciation Day

The Automotive Training Centre located in Toronto kicked off its annual Student Appreciation Day on August 17, 2017. Students from the Automotive Technology Program got to take in the pleasure of being surrounded by some very fabulous hot rods and race cars while enjoying some BBQ served up by their instructors and college faculty. The 

Posted 1 month ago by

Tom Henheffer, CJFE Executive Director 
 (Photo: HG)

Threats to freedom of expression in Canada

CJFE Executive Director Tom Henheffer: By Mila Astorga-Garcia TORONTO – The greatest threat to free expression in Canada is the culture war due to the rise of fascism, says Tom Henheffer, Executive Director of the Canadian Journalists for Free Expression. This is because fascism ties up with fake news, which has negatively impacted on the 

Posted 2 months ago by

Members of group forming a network of writers and journalists. Clockwise, from left: Pet Cleto, Patty Rivera, Richard Mojica, Leon Aureus, Jr., Marites Sison, Mila Astorga-Garcia, Hermie Garcia, Veronica Silva Cusi, Althea Manasan, Ysh Cabana and Jennilee Austria. Not in photo, Robert Diaz.

Pictorial: Filipino Canadian Writers and Journalists Network

Posted 2 months ago by

Benedicto ‘BenCab’ Cabrera (Photo: Rappler)

Interview with Filipino National Artist BenCab: ‘I touched humanism in my art’

Interview with PH’s 2006 National Artist BenCab By Michelle Chermaine Ramos Renowned artist Benedicto “BenCab” Cabrera was conferred the Order of National Artist for Visual Arts by President Gloria Macapagal-Arroyo in 2006. A collectors’ favorite, BenCab is known as the best-selling painter of his generation of Filipino artists with collectors scrambling to buy his works 

Posted 2 months ago by

KAMP 2017 Mentors, mentees, and organizers.  Photo: JC Bonifacio.

Touching KAMP experiences of Vancouver Pinoy youth

By Jennilee Austria Just like most Filipinos, my husband and I have never been to summer camp. So when we realized that our Vancouver vacation coincided with a Filipino youth camp, we spent two days at Loon Lake. We soon realized that KAMP was not just a summer camp— it was a social movement. In 

Posted 2 months ago by

Noreen-Vinzon-and-Edward-Lintag

Want to continue your career in construction industry? FILCONPRO is your friend

By Voltaire de Leon Edward Lintag worked in the Philippines as a project engineer for Systech Industries for four years until 2007 when an opportunity opened up in Saudi Arabia. There he continued his project engineering work this time with Advanced Vision, an engineering firm of the prominent Bin Laden family. The reputation of Filipino 

Posted 2 months ago by

Dr. Robert Diaz

The Ethics of Honouring Other Lives

By Dr. Robert Diaz Assistant Professor University of Toronto I moved to Canada six years ago and, for the most part, I’ve lived a life that seems unimaginable for an immigrant with roots in the Philippines. I work as a faculty member at the University of Toronto. I teach, mentor, and collaborate with Filipinos whose 

Posted 2 months ago by