Community

The Papu I Remember

By Jess Lagman ow long have I known Papu? Some 30 years but it seems it was only yesterday. And strangely, the month of July was significant to our friendship. It was in July 1974 at the Development Academy of the Philippines (DAP) office in Makati when Vic Tirol introduced Papu to me as head 

Posted 13 years ago by

Multi-awarded UST Singers in T.O.

TORONTO–The University of Santo Tomas Alumni Association of Ontario and St. Brigid’s Parish Church are proud and excited to present the UST Singers at a one performance concert September 3, 2004 at 7:30 pm. at the St. Brigid Parish Hall. The talented singers are back by popular demand after a successful concert last year. Their 

Posted 13 years ago by

Featineans elect officers

TORONTO–The Featinean Association of Toronto (TFAT) has selected a new set of officers and directors for the term 2004-2005 at its yearly collegial get-together and picnic held at the Thompson Memorial Park in Scarborough on June 20, 2004. The members of the 15-year old alumni association have elected the nineteen members of the executive directorate 

Posted 13 years ago by

When No Means No

Canadian Immigration Views By Berto Volpentesta “I realize that this decision will be a disappointment to you, and that my response at this time could not be more favourable. Thank you for your interest in Canada”, “You must leave Canada by…,” “You have been found to ….”. Is this really the end? Is this NO 

Posted 13 years ago by

Yoyoy Villame to perform at St. Catharines trade show

ST CATHARINES, Niagara Region–For the first time in Niagara region, a Filipino-sponsored trade and concert show will take place on August 14, Saturday, from 5:00 pm to 7:00 pm (trade show) and 8:00 pm 10:00 pm (concert) at 7 Park Avenue, Merriton Community Centre in St Catharines. Everyone is invited to come and join this 

Posted 13 years ago by

Mabuhay festival marks 5th year on Aug. 6-8

TORONTO–The Philippine Independence Day Council (“PIDC”), in cooperation with the Ontario Trillium Foundation, The Toronto Arts Council and Arts Presentation Canada presents the largest celebration of Philippine heritage and culture in Canada, the fifth annual Mabuhay Philippines! Toronto Summer Festival. The official opening of Mabuhay Philippines is on August 4th, the start of an art 

Posted 13 years ago by

Pista sa Tundo 2004

TORONTO–The Torres High School Alumni Association (International) will hold its summer signature social event in July 31, 2004 at the Malvern Community Centre. The “Pista sa Tundo” has been a part of the social activities of the international alumni association for a number of years and has been set at the vast and spacious Malvern 

Posted 13 years ago by

Radyo Pinoy–radio that listens to listeners

TORONTO–Perusing through the local radio stations in Toronto has become mundane. Often, we hear the same old thing over and over again. Originality has disappeared and audiences are left settling for shows that only help get them through traffic problems in and around the city. Piercing through the rubbish we hear on the radio today 

Posted 13 years ago by

Groundswell of support

TORONTO–The Justice for Jeffrey Reodica campaign has been met with a groundswell of support from various individuals and organizations both in the Filipino-Canadian and other communities. For the past two weeks following the townhall meeting on May 31 at the Scarborough Civic Centre Council Chamber, a series of events have been organized – some planned, 

Posted 13 years ago by

Jeffrey did not deserve to be killed

By Filmarie Olayta IF there’s one thing I can’t stand, it’s individuals who keep their minds closed and still have the audacity to pass judgment on other people’s emotions. I’m in utter astonishment to know that your kind of mentality still exists. It infuriates me to witness fellow humans be apathetic. These reasons are why 

Posted 13 years ago by