Community

Resignation is the Best Apology-U.P. Law

WITH a vote of 32-6, including six abstentions, the faculty of the College of Law of the University of the Philippines has decided to issue a collective statement on the issue of Pres. Gloria Macapagal-Arroyo’s taped conversations. The statement, officially released July 4, 2005, received “yes” votes from 16 of the College’s 23 full-time law 

Posted 13 years ago by

NCCP Calls for GMA to Resign

The National Council of Churches in the Philippines (NCCP) and its 13 million constituents along with thevast majority of the Filipino people call for President Gloria Macapagal-Arroyo’s resignation on the basis of the so-called “Gloria-gate” tapes. Truth and justice must reign. President Arroyo ended her silence by admitting that, indeed, she made the phone call 

Posted 13 years ago by

Top Ten Reasons to Oust A President

By Ninotchka Rosca GABRIELA International Network (GAIN) 1) Demanding a Value-Added Tax law when oil prices are reaching a record $60 per barrel, thus ensuring that people of the Philippines will have to contend with triple digit inflation. Why not nationalize the petrochemical industry, including the Malampaya gas reserves, and impose price controls on everything? 

Posted 13 years ago by

Jeffrey’s inquest, the long wait….

Everyday, Willie Reodica arranges the files that contain all the relevant documents pertaining to Jeffrey’s death. He has arranged it meticulously ranging from the medical findings, the witnesses statements, letters of communication from his lawyers, press releases up to the Special Investigations Unit (SIU) findings. He has everything marked, labelled and stamped with appropriate dates. 

Posted 13 years ago by

Understanding Rizal Without Veneration

Quarantined Prophet and Carnival Impresario By E. San Juan, Jr. “…but I rejoice more when I contemplate humanity in its immortal march, always progressing in spite of its declines and falls, in spite of its aberrations, because that demonstrates to me its glorious end and tells me that it has been created for a better 

Posted 13 years ago by

A Day of Tyranny

Philippine Independence Day Parade in New York City (Statement of the Philippine Forum on the Consulate General and PIDC’s curtailment of our freedom of expression) THE Philippine Independence Day Parade in New York City on June 5 was supposed to be a celebration of our freedom from tyranny and oppression. The Philippine Consulate General of 

Posted 13 years ago by

An Open Letter: Is ConGen Rebong’s $10,000 condo rent justified?

Dear Editor, As a working Filipina who has been residing in New York City for 10 years, Foreign Affairs spokesperson Gilberto Asuque’s senseless remarks in defense of the lavish condo rental allowance extracted monthly from Philippine government funds to house our overseas diplomats reaps nothing short of blood from my ears (“DFA Defends N.Y. Envoy’s 

Posted 13 years ago by

Pistahan sa Toronto

By Aida E. D’Orazio The sizzling weather during the Pistahan Sa Toronto was definitely no spirit damper to Filipinos. The forecast was 33 degrees Celsius with a humidity index of 40 degrees. Add to it the possibility of a thunderstorm. Yet, the hordes of people that attended the Pistahan on the two-day Philippine Independence Day 

Posted 13 years ago by

Letter to The Editor: ‘Inappropriately misquoted’

Dear Mr. Garcia: It has been three weeks now since I have spoken to your son, Norman, about an article in your paper written by Miss Marlou Tiro. On that phone conversation last May 22, 2005, I told your son that I had been inappropriately misquoted by the author on my lecture about depression, including 

Posted 13 years ago by

Reply to Dr. Bismonte’s letter

Dear Dr Bismonte, I have read your letter and appreciate your comments. It may be important for you to note that the article was meant to inform the public about your lecture with no intention to dishonor your profession as a Psychiatrist. As a Filipino, it is an honor to learn that there is a 

Posted 13 years ago by