Community

Probe into Live-In Caregiver Program of Canada: Congress Resolution No. 643

Republic of the Philippines HOUSE OF REPRESENTATIVES THIRTEENTH CONGRESS First Regular Session House Resolution No. 643 (Filed March 2, 2005) Introduced by Anakpawis Representatives Crispin B. Beltran, Rafael V. Mariano; Bayan Muna Representative Teodoro A. Casiño;  Gabriela Women’s Party Rep. Liza Largoza-Maza; Bayan Muna Representatives Satur C. Ocampo and  Joel G. Virador RESOLUTION DIRECTING THE 

Posted 13 years ago by

Filipino Women in Canada’s Live-In Caregiver Program

Prepared by Cecilia Diocson, Chair National Alliance of Philippine Women in Canada (NAPWC) Final Draft, Febuary 28, 2005 Funder: Status of Women Canada Filipino Women In The Live-in Caregiver Program (LCP) While Canada champions supposedly universal norms, laws and rights, domestic workers often experience these as merely illusory and not in the realm of everyday 

Posted 13 years ago by

Whose thinking should be changed — ours or theirs?

Reply to Dr. Philip Kelly Congratulations for a very informative and scholarly publication. I enjoyed reading every column of your last issue (March 1-15, 2005). Anent Dr. Philip Kelly’s erudite article, Class Struggle: Filipino Immigrants and the Quest for Identity, please allow me to offer my two-cent’s worth of opinion: I fully agree with his 

Posted 13 years ago by

Absence of equal opportunity: Do we have a chance?

Dear Professor Kelly, Your article “Class Struggle: Filipino Immigrants and the Quest for Identity” provoked me. I appreciate your interest in obtaining a response from a Filipino like me as to how I interpret the concept of my de-skilled or de-professionalized status in the Canadian society. I would further say that you want Filipinos like 

Posted 13 years ago by

Silayan leads St. Jamestown fest

The Silayan Filipino Community Center headed by its president, Rose Tijam, and its executive director, Evelyn L. Laraya, will be at the forefront of Toronto’s St. Jamestown Festival sometime in June this year with the participation of all the business, community and neighbourhood, youth organizations in the area. Two of the leaders in the area 

Posted 13 years ago by

Buzzword – Responsible Mining

By Mel Catre “Philippines is now open for business,” declared Ambassador Delia Domingo-Albert on her opening remarks at Metro Convention Centre, at the opening session of the convention of Prospectors and Developers Association of Canada. An estimated 13,000 delegates attended the conference. She invited Canadian Mining Companies to invest in the Philippine Mining industry. “Finally,” 

Posted 13 years ago by

‘Voices of Spring’ Concert features Calbes, Dubois

“Voices of Spring” a concert featuring two world renown artists, sopranoEleanor Calbes and tenor Mark Dubois will be held at the Living Arts Centre Royal Bank Theatre on Sunday, April 10, 2005 at 8:00 p. m. Mme Calbes and Mr. Dubois are international stars. They have both traveled to sing for audiences worldwide. Eleanor graduated 

Posted 13 years ago by

Access to professions advocate receives Women of Labour Award

TORONTO–It took six years, but Anita Dhawan’s successful challenge to have Toronto’s York University recognize her international academic credentials permanently changed admission policies for foreign-trained profesionals entering teachers college. Today, Anita is a librarian and ESL teacher whose influence reaches far beyond the classroom to help teachers and community leaders take action on human rights 

Posted 13 years ago by

Markham federation donates $1,000 to typhoon victims

MARKHAM–On Jan. 10, Markham Federation of Filipino Canadians’ Board representative Ramon Ombao made a special delivery to the Department of Social Welfare and Development (DSWD) office at the Batasan Complex in Quezon City, Philippines. The delivery was a cash donation of CAD$1,000 (equivalent 46,000 pesos) for the typhoon and flood victims in the Quezon province. 

Posted 13 years ago by

A Maharlikan Lenten offering

The Knights of Columbus Maharlika Council No. 7488 of Scarborough will present “Reflections” on Good Friday, March 25, 2005 at St. Aidan Church, Finch and Warden Avenues, Scarborough at 11:00 a.m. Patterned after the traditional “Siete Palabras” in the Philippines, this year’s version is written in layman English language for the benefit of the faithful 

Posted 13 years ago by