Community

Filipino Women in Canada’s Live-in Caregiver Program

(Last of 2 parts) Prepared by Cecilia Diocson, Chair National Alliance of Philippine Women in Canada (NAPWC) Final Draft, Febuary 28, 2005 Funder: Status of Women Canada Filipino Women In The Live-in Caregiver Program (LCP) The impact of the LCP on women and the Filipino community in Canada Although there has been a drop in 

Posted 13 years ago by

Report on LCP Roundtable Consultation in Ottawa

By Cecilia Diocson Chair, National Alliance of Philippine Women In Canada (NAPWC) Introduction From January 13 – 14, 2005, Citizenship and Immigration Canada (CIC) held a national roundtable on the Review of the Live-In Caregiver Program (LCP). This came about amidst the long and continuing insistence by advocates for a review of the program and 

Posted 13 years ago by

CASJ consolidates gains of 3 task forces

TORONTO–Six months after its first major activity – the consultation conference “Strengthen Our Community for Social Justice” attended by 200 people – the Community Alliance for Social Justice (CASJ) held its first general membership meeting on Saturday, March 19, at Metro Hall, to consolidate the organization. The CASJ general membership heard reports from the three 

Posted 13 years ago by

What is Sleep Apnea?

Apnea is a Greek word which means “without breath.” Obstructive sleep apnea (OSA) is the most common form of apnea characterized by repetitive partial or complete upper airway obstruction in sleep often lasting a minute or longer and can occur as frequent as hundreds of times during a single night. This is often associated with 

Posted 13 years ago by

World Federation of Chiropractic endorses Nikken sleep system

The World Federation of Chiropractic (WFC), a prestigious international chiropractic organization that is also an NGO in official relations with the World Health Organization (WHO), has given an exclusive endorsement to the Nikken Sleep System. The worldwide endorsement is the result of quality testing performed on the sleep system, mattress, pad, pillow and comforter, and 

Posted 13 years ago by

Skilled, educated immigrants rely on food banks to survive in Toronto

Lives and economy suffer by government inaction TORONTO – Too many talented immigrants are being forced to rely upon food banks to survive according to preliminary results of the 2005 Annual Survey of people who rely upon food banks. According to the survey results released today 91 per cent of immigrants are not working in 

Posted 13 years ago by

Reporter artist is Valedictorian at Art Institute of Toronto

TORONTO–Lawrence A. Garcia, graphic artist of The Philippine Reporter, graduated Valedictorian of the Digital Design, Winter 2005 class of the Art Institute of Toronto – the Toronto branch of a prestigious international chain of art schools in major cities of the world. Garcia won top honors, despite a major obstacle, when his brand new Macintosh 

Posted 13 years ago by

The KCCC president’s report

By Ching Quejas President, Kalayaan Cultural Community Centre One of the great challenges in my life at this late stage is my involvement with the Kalayaan Cultural Community Centre, taking on the top position of President. I am an octogenarian and I am not very healthy which prompted my friend Fe de la Cruz to 

Posted 13 years ago by

The Class Origins of Barong Tagalog

Nobody ever told me why the barong is the national dress of the Philippines. So I did my research, I’m sure most of you know this but just in case you don’t. During the Spanish occupation of the Philippines (over 300 years from 1561-1889), the barong tagalog was required by the Spanish government for Filipinos 

Posted 13 years ago by

Toronto Upsilon Sigma Phi and Sigma Delta Phi to host 2006 reunion

Because of a growing clamor from worldwide members of the Upsilon Sigma Phi, the fraternity’s North American Board of Directors selected its Toronto based chapter to host the international reunion in August 2006. The reunion will be jointly hosted by the fraternity’s sister sorority, the Sigma Delta Phi. This annual and much awaited get together 

Posted 13 years ago by