Community

What PHB means to me

By Dionne Conche Philippine Heritage Band…what do these three words mean to me? When I first joined this group, it was just a band where I was forced to go every Sunday by my mom. It is now a place where I go to every Sunday to have fun and be with my “family”. As 

Posted 14 years ago by

Filipinos take centerstage at Factory Theatre

TORONTO–Factory Theatre is hosting its first ever Filipino Culture Night at 8pm on September 20th 2005. In an effort to increase the diversity of its audiences, the theatre will be toasting the accomplishments of outstanding artists of our community, following a performance of Banana Boys, a hit play co-produced with fu-GEN Asian Canadian Theatre. Here, 

Posted 14 years ago by

Catherine Hernandez, outreach person

TORONTO–Five Asian-Canadian males find a sense of self. A Native woman connects with her sister. An African-Canadian inventor changes the face of thermodynamics. This year’s lineup of shows at the Factory Theatre – including two English language premieres from Quebec–offers a cornucopia of cultural voices comparable to any United Nations conference. And yet, the face 

Posted 14 years ago by

R.P. trips to Hiyas winners

Four roundtrip tickets to the Philippines, a side trip to heavenly Boracay resort and $1,000 spending money are some of the major prizes awaiting the winners of the 2005 1st Hiyas ng Pilipinas Canada Beauty Pageant which coronation night is set on November 11, 2005 at the Korean Community Center along Leslie St. in Scarborough. 

Posted 14 years ago by

Ateneo Alumni’s 11th scholarship dance

The Ateneo Alumni Association Canada’s (AAAC) Chairman, Bernie Sychangco recently announced the holding of the 11th AAAC Scholarship Dinner-Dance at the Malvern Community Centre in Scarborough on September 24, 2005. This activity caps the fundraising activities for the year, a momentous occasion being the start of the second decade of the AAAC’s successful fundraising programs. 

Posted 14 years ago by

Seniors’ forum to identify needs

TORONTO–Filipino seniors’ throughout Toronto are being invited to participate in the 2005 Second Consultative set on October 19 (Wednesday), 2:00 p.m. to 4:00 p.m. at the Council Chambers, Toronto City Hall, 100 Queen Street West. The Seniors’ Forum was formed in order to assist The Toronto City Council to identify the priority needs of the 

Posted 14 years ago by

Fiesta Filipina presents Karilagan

By Niko Mejia Weeks after its amazing feat at the Carabram International Festival where they were judged the “Best Entertainment” Award, the Fiesta Filipina Dance Troupe is once again set to light up the stage with Karilagan: Celebration of Philippine Dance, Music, & Fashion. This season’s repertoire will premier at the elegant Hammerson Hall on 

Posted 14 years ago by

New website helps ethnic jobseekers

When looking for a job, the best place to start is with companies that are looking for you. That’s the advice of Celia Sankar, executive director of the DiversityCanada Foundation. “Many companies are now actively seeking to make their workforce more representative of the rich mixture of cultures and backgrounds in Canada today,” said Sankar, 

Posted 14 years ago by

Roco’s death mourned in Toronto

By Romeo Ayson Zetazate Filipinos throughout Toronto and other parts of the province of Ontario mourned the death of former Senator and Education Secretary Raul S. Roco who has been known for his idealism, hardwork, and honesty. Last Saturday and Sunday August 6 and 7), memorial masses were offered by Filipinos for and on his 

Posted 14 years ago by

Starmodel face candidates selected

By R.D. Ching The first batch of the official candidates of the ongoing search for Mr. & Ms. Starmodel Face Canada was selected recently. The selection was made during the two screenings held last July 9 and 23, 2005 at The Gateway Centre for New Canadians in Mississauga and at Gold Ribbon Restaurant and Banquet 

Posted 14 years ago by