Community

Eustaquio named Justice of the Peace

MILA Eustaquio was recently appointed Justice of the Peace by Ontario Attorney General Michael Bryant. Assigned to Brampton/Mississauga, she is among seven new appointments to hold office starting August 2005. Eustaquio was a board member of the Federal Immigration and Refugee Board and executive director of the Peel Multicultural Council.Until recently, she was a paralegal 

Posted 14 years ago by

Club Filipino’s X’mas 2005 Shindig

The Club Filipino of St. Jamestown headed by President George Hontanosas will hold its Christmas 2005 Shindig on December 17 (Saturday), 6:00 p.m., at the Sub-Basement (Level 2), 240 Wellesley East, Toronto. The CFSJT yuletide affair will be highlighted by the exchanging of gifts by both the members and the guests. Foods and drinks will 

Posted 14 years ago by

‘Road to Asia 2005’

A two-day festival on November 5 and 6 entitled “Road to Asia” is being organized by the Japanese Canadian Cultural Centre (JCCC). The Philippine Consulate General, along with other (10) Asian countries sponsored by the JCCC will participate in the 5th year celebration of Road to Asia Festival 2005. The Japanese Canadian Cultural Centre of 

Posted 14 years ago by

Mapa High Alumni gears up for 12th Int’l reunion

THE Mapa High School Alumni Association (MHSAA) of USA and Canada in its October 21st meeting at Mayette’s Restaurant has slated plans to hold frequent meeting and social events in preparation for its July 2007 12th International Reunion. The Ontario Chapel of MHSAA said the association is frequently holding meetings to facilitate the planning and 

Posted 14 years ago by

FCT auditor speaks out, stands by his findings

TORONTO–Halloween is still weeks away, but it seems members of the Filipino Centre Toronto (FCT) board of directors may have played a trick that audit committee chair Julito Longkines did not find particularly funny. Longkines was referring to a press statement issued recently which basically states the FCT board’s unwavering support for its president, Rosalinda 

Posted 14 years ago by

FCT execs face libel suit

TORONTO – Officials of the Filipino Centre Toronto will soon be facing libel charges from former FCT officer Dr. Francisco Portugal for alleged “false and defamatory statements” contained in an article published in Filipino community newspaper Balita last September. Portugal said a Notice of Libel was served recently to FCT naming all 15 board members 

Posted 14 years ago by

NOTEBOOK: Javier’s reply: Missing the point or evading the point?

IN AN ARTICLE published in another community newspaper, Filipino Centre Toronto president Rosalinda Javier made an effort to reply to “accusations” made by three newspapers including The Philippine Reporter. I do not speak for the other two papers but as far as the issues raised in our two recent FCT stories and the views expressed 

Posted 14 years ago by

‘One human rights violation is a lot’

Statement of a transsexual in a press conference, Sept. 29, 2005 Good morning. My name is Lorraine Tagalog, a transsexual and resident in this wonderful city of Toronto. I am very grateful for your presence in this hastily called Press Conference here at the 519 Community Centre and I hope there will be a good 

Posted 14 years ago by

‘Police officer doesn’t like people like us’

Statement of a gay cross-dresser My name is Adel Abdulrahim, and it took me many hard years to look in the mirror and not only accept the person that was staring back at me, but to respect him also. This is when I was able to accept and respect others as well. In the early 

Posted 14 years ago by

R.P. team runner up in student enterprise World Cup 2005

TORONTO–The Philippine team represented by the Sultan Kudarat State College finished first runner up in its league at the Students in Free Enterprise World Cup held in Toronto, Ontario on October 5-7, 2005. University students from 45 countries competed for the title of 2005 SIFE World Cup Champion at the Metro Toronto Convention Centre (MTCC). 

Posted 14 years ago by