Community

The Parent Trap: What will the Minister do?

Canadian Immigration News and Views By Berto Volpentesta Now that summer is gone the children are back at school and Parliament returns to discuss the important business of running Canada. Each fall, the Minister for Citizenship and Immigration must report to Parliament and provide an overview of the events of the last year and the 

Posted 14 years ago by

Open Letter: Demand for Inquest for Jeffrey Reodica

Thursday, August 4th, 2005 TO: The Honourable Monte Kwinter, Minister of Community Safety and Correctional Services Dr. Barry A. McLellan, Chief Coroner for Ontario CC: The Honourable Dalton McGuinty, Premier of Ontario The Honourable John Tory, MPP The Honourable Howard Hampton, MPP His Worship David Miller, Mayor of Toronto FROM: The Justice for Jeffrey Reodica 

Posted 14 years ago by

Youth reclaim role in Philippine struggle

Youth reclaim role in Philippine struggle Filipino youth gathering in Montreal–a resounding success: Filipino youth in Quebec build higher unity! Over 80 Filipino youth delegates and observers havebeen inspired and energized by a gathering held in Montreal, Quebec for two and a half days (Aug. 19-21) where they shared their history of migration and experiences 

Posted 14 years ago by

Withdraw support for GMA, Canadian Embassy official urged

The Head of the Canadian International Solidarity Mission delegation and Acting Chairperson of BC Committee for Human Rights in the Philippines (BCCHRP), Barbara Waldern, and two other BCCHRP activists/ISM delegates from Canada, Elizabeth Dollaga and Emanuel Sayo, visited the Canadian Embassy on the morning of August 24. The delegates delivered the main message of the 

Posted 14 years ago by

Calling Davaoeños

Natives of the four provinces of Davao who have relocated themselves in Toronto, Ontario, will meet on Sunday (Sept. 25), 3:00 P.M. at the Office of Silayan Community Center, Sub-Basement, 240 Wellesley, East. According to Adelaida B. Fabriga, the coordinator of the event, she is inviting all Davawenos to attend the meeting in order to 

Posted 14 years ago by

Niagara dance supports CIBC cancer run

Filipino entrepreneurs in Niagara will be helping raise cancer awareness through a fund raising drive starting from their participation in the recent trade show at Metro Convention Centre. “Make-up for a cause” and “Dance for a cause” are two separate events in the pipeline to support the Canadian Breast Cancer Foundation CIBC Run for the 

Posted 14 years ago by

What PHB means to me

By Dionne Conche Philippine Heritage Band…what do these three words mean to me? When I first joined this group, it was just a band where I was forced to go every Sunday by my mom. It is now a place where I go to every Sunday to have fun and be with my “family”. As 

Posted 14 years ago by

Filipinos take centerstage at Factory Theatre

TORONTO–Factory Theatre is hosting its first ever Filipino Culture Night at 8pm on September 20th 2005. In an effort to increase the diversity of its audiences, the theatre will be toasting the accomplishments of outstanding artists of our community, following a performance of Banana Boys, a hit play co-produced with fu-GEN Asian Canadian Theatre. Here, 

Posted 14 years ago by

Catherine Hernandez, outreach person

TORONTO–Five Asian-Canadian males find a sense of self. A Native woman connects with her sister. An African-Canadian inventor changes the face of thermodynamics. This year’s lineup of shows at the Factory Theatre – including two English language premieres from Quebec–offers a cornucopia of cultural voices comparable to any United Nations conference. And yet, the face 

Posted 14 years ago by

R.P. trips to Hiyas winners

Four roundtrip tickets to the Philippines, a side trip to heavenly Boracay resort and $1,000 spending money are some of the major prizes awaiting the winners of the 2005 1st Hiyas ng Pilipinas Canada Beauty Pageant which coronation night is set on November 11, 2005 at the Korean Community Center along Leslie St. in Scarborough. 

Posted 14 years ago by