Community

MultiFam

Changes to Canadian Citizenship Act Dilute the Meaning of Canadian Citizenship

By Ethel Tungohan, PhD Rather than prioritizing prospective Canadians’ integration into their communities and their participation in cultural, economic, and social life, the changes that are part of the bill “Strengthening Canadian Citizenship,” tabled by Citizenship and Immigration Minister Chris Alexander on February 6, 2014, limits the definition of what it means to be Canadian 

Posted 2 years ago by

Migrante-Alberta Group

Filipino Groups Unite to Push Consular Office Campaign in Alberta

EDMONTON, Alberta– “Open a consular office in Alberta, now!” This call will echo in the four corners of Alberta as Filipino groups converge in two main cities on Feb. 22. Leaders of Filipino groups will gather simultaneously in Edmonton and Calgary to reiterate to the Philippine government their need for a consular office in Alberta. 

Posted 2 years ago by

From left: Fely Castelo, Joe Zagala, Chat Bautista, Dr. Reynaldo Tamayo, Fred Gamboa, Judy Montenegro, 
Tommy de Guia, Delfin Palileo (not in photo) Benny Cuevillas; seated: Mama Ching Quejas, Resty Del Rosario.  PHOTO: JOE DAMASCO, PPCO

KCCC elected new board of directors

Kalayaan Community Center Canada Elected new set of Board of Directors

Posted 2 years ago by

Eileen Mangubat

Journalism in Time of Haiyan: The Evolving Role of the Community Press in Covering Natural Disasters

Each year, the Faculty of Information at the University of Toronto and Sun Life Financial Canada are pleased to announce a McLuhan Program in Culture and Technology public lecture. For 2014, we are honoured to welcome Eileen Mangubat, the 2013 Marshall McLuhan Fellow from the Philippines. She is well known in her country and abroad as publisher 

Posted 2 years ago by

Olivia-Chow_My_journey_cover

Olivia Chow, unplugged

By The ORIGAMI Staff Notwithstanding the return of the polar vortex-generated frigid weather, a standing-room only crowd packed the multi-purpose hall at Trinity-St. Paul United Church on Bloor St. West Jan. 22 for the launch of Olivia Chow’s book, My Journey. Will she or won’t she – run for mayor that is – was clearly 

Posted 2 years ago by

MICHELLE Cordoba

Spread Love

Go see a therapist, like you see a dentist: By Rachelle Cruz “ I haven’t seen my sister Michelle for the last 3 years.  And I’m not going to see my sister for the rest of my life, “ Joan Cordoba expressed as she began her speech. “I could see that Michelle was in trouble 

Posted 2 years ago by

HEALTH-truffles-pics

Sugar’s effect on our health is not so sweet

Valentines Day has always been viewed as a day of romance — couples going out to their favorite restaurants, making romantic gestures of extravagant flower arrangements, exchanging gifts of jewelry, giving that someone special a gigantic heart-shaped box of chocolates. It is a sweet gesture to give sweets to show our love but keep in mind that sugar’s effect 

Posted 2 years ago by

OCASI-Logo

OCASI Comments on proposed Citizenship changes

OCASI Comments OCASI has prepared a preliminary analysis of Bill C-24, the Citizenship amendment Act tabled in the House of Commons on Thursday February 6, 2014. We will develop a fuller analysis as we continue to review the Bill and prepare for public comment opportunities through the Parliamentary Standing Committee later in the year. The 

Posted 2 years ago by

CHRIS ALEXANDER

Building a fast and flexible immigration system

Gov’t to eliminate Investor and Entrepreneur Programs OTTAWA–Canada’s Citizenship and Immigration Minister Chris Alexander today welcomed measures in Economic Action Plan (EAP) 2014 to build a faster, more flexible immigration system that makes real contributions to Canada’s long-term prosperity. EAP 2014 announced the government’s intent to terminate the federal Immigrant Investor Program (IIP) and Federal 

Posted 2 years ago by

PREMIER WYNNE

Ontario gives Ottawa an F

More Than 110 Federal Cuts TORONTO–Premier Kathleen Wynne called on the federal government to stop taking unilateral actions that hurt the people of Ontario. In its budget on Feb. 11, the federal government cut $641 million in transfers that help support programs the people of Ontario rely on. This cut is in addition to the 

Posted 2 years ago by