Pomposa De Veyra Musca 96th birthday

Posted 2 years ago by

Migrante-Canada call to support Zero Remittance Day global action

Migrante-Canada is calling on all of its members and friends to support Migrante International’s Global Action, Zero Remittance Day on September 19 as a condemnation to the plunder of their remittances by Philippine officials and the snail-paced prosecution of the Aquino government to bring them to justice. Migrante-Canada called as assault to migrants’ rights and 

Posted 2 years ago by

Live the best way you can, be grateful and caring

WANT LONGEVITY? TAKE IT FROM 100-YEAR OLD PAZ LIM By Mila Astorga-Garcia TORONTO – PAZ Lim was one of the seniors who participated in the recent study conducted by University of Toronto and Filipino Centre Toronto researchers focused on Filipino elderly wellbeing. Attending the launch of the report with her close friends and dozens of 

Posted 2 years ago by

Detained Canadian student released and on flight back to Canada from Philippines

At 8:30 pm Manila time on Sunday, September 15 (8:30 am EST), Canadian student Kim Chatillon-Meunier was able to take her flight from Manila’s NAIA Terminal 2 to Vancouver, Canada after being released from detention. Kim was able to send a short text message from the plane: “Im on my flight, direct to vancouver with 

Posted 2 years ago by

100-year old Paz Lim showing a congratulatory certificate from Prime Minister Harper and other documents. PHOTO: H.GARCIA

70% of Filipino GTA seniors poor

By Mila Astorga-Garcia TORONTO–Approximately seven out of 10 Filipino elderlies in the Greater Toronto Area live in poverty, according to results of a groundbreaking study by academic and community researchers. The study, titled “Life is Really Hard Here”: The Living Conditions and Needs of Filipino Elderlies in the Greater Toronto Area, authored by Roland Sintos 

Posted 2 years ago by

Director Brillante Mendoza

The horrors of media; acting possessed; and managing Pacquiao

The Philippine Reporter interviews award-winning director Brillante Mendoza, best-supporting actress Ruby Ruiz and producer Wilson Tieng By Dyan Ruiz TORONTO–Sapi (translates into Possession) is the first foray into horror for the much-celebrated Philippine director Brillante Mendoza and the film had its world premiere at the Toronto International Film Festival (TIFF) on Sept. 6. Sapi follows 

Posted 2 years ago by

Director Jeffrey Jeturian  

Vilma Santos film a big hit at TIFF

Philippine Reporter interviews EKSTRA director, actress, fans at TIFF By Dyan Ruiz TORONTO–Filipino-Canadians packed the house for the sold-out premiere of the new indie film that shows the Star for all Seasons, Vilma Santos, in a role she’s never had to play before–an extra. Ekstra (Bit Player) stars the venerable Santos, also known as the 

Posted 2 years ago by

Bautista and Vergara. PHOTO: Seanna Kennedy

For two young pinoy actors: It’s child’s play performing in mainstream musicals

By Batrice S. Paez TORONTO–Some childhood games never lose their allure. The fantasy of dressing up, playing pretend and creating an alter ego lives in the memory of many young adults. What’s now become past tense for those who have grown up is a living practice for Chris Vergara and Ann Paula Bautista. These days, 

Posted 2 years ago by

International conference decries U.S. military presence in Asia

By Dyan Ruiz Leaders from organizations in Asia and around the world met in July united in their opposition to the increasing US military presence in Asia in the first international conference of its kind since the US announced its “strategic pivot” to the region. Delegates from 13 countries attended the conference called “Engaging Peace 

Posted 2 years ago by

My daughter alone in the yard on her first day of JK. Now, we actually feel alone knowing the school and the board ignored to implement a program for families like us.

Kinder kids have nowhere to go

REMOVAL OF BEFORE-AND-AFTER SCHOOL PROGRAMS By Camille Cendana When my daughter started Junior Kindergarten last year, I knew I wanted to be involved in her school’s community. Our Lady of Lourdes, the Catholic elementary school in St. Jamestown where my daughter attended, had a snack program that I volunteered at until my son was born. 

Posted 2 years ago by