Veronica Liu, of the Word Up Community Bookshop, at the United Palace Theater in Washington Heights, where Word Up’s books are 
being stored. 
Photo courtesy: Karsten Moran for The New York Times

Vern Liu, FarTooCanadian in New York

Now, for something more inspiring. A feature of this column will be interviews with the  ‘nugen’ (New Generation)  of ‘hyfies’ (for Hyphenated Filipino as my daughter once called herself instead of the cumbersome Filipino-Canadian) . Let’s roll. She could be the reason so many New Yorkers, like Stephen Colbert, became such a Canadaphile  and  why 

Posted 2 years ago by

Mr. Basiliso and Mrs. Prima (de Veyra) Astorga on their wedding day 75 years ago.

A golden story to warm your heart

By Mila Astorga-Garcia (In honour of my long-departed parents who would have celebrated their 65th wedding anniversary this year, I reprint this column.  Fifteen years have passed since I had written this story, which I have told and re-told to our three children and four grandchildren. Just like my parents, they too live life with 

Posted 2 years ago by

Radyo Migrante is York U Radio 2013 Best Spoken Word Show Awardee

Radyo Migrante has been honoured to have received the SPOKEN WORD PROGRAMMING AWARD during the CHRY 25th Anniversary Awards Ceremony on July 6, 2013. This award recognizes the show for “being an outstanding leader in critically thought out spoken word broadcasting” in the York University radio station. Radyo Migrante, on air since 2007, is a 

Posted 2 years ago by

Alyssa Datu, Roy Tugbang and Katharine Reyes

Young Fil-Cans take world performing arts contest by storm

This past July, three young Filipino-Canadians flew to Hollywood, California to represent  Canada at WCOPA (the World Championships of Performing Arts). Alyssa Datu, age  13, Katharine Reyes, age 10, and Roy Tugbang, age 18, joined 5 other members of  Team Canada. All 8 Canadian representatives came home with medals.  Alyssa  received a Bronze and a 

Posted 2 years ago by

Markham Federation’s 4th Taste of Broadway Oct. 26

The long wait is over and the show is about to begin.  A Taste of Broadway by the Markham Federation of Filipino Canadians (MFFC) is once again being produced by Karen Tan, together with the mentors of the organization.  This is the fourth presentation of A Taste of Broadway and the show boasts the same 

Posted 2 years ago by

18th BIRTHDAY.  Melissa Barbour with her Cotillion Entourage on July 28, 2013 at Mississauga Banquet Hall.  PHOTO: ARIEL RAMOS

Posted 2 years ago by

Bayan Basketball Club Hosts 26th NABA Tournament in Newmarket, Ontario

By Romy Zetazate and Manny Papa The 26th Annual Inter-City NABA’s Basketball Tournament is slated at the Ray Twinney Recreational Complex in Newmarket, Ontario, and in some other Catholic and High School Gyms around the York Region, specifically in Newmarket, Aurora, King City, and Richmond Hill. The 3-day event will be held commencing Friday, August 

Posted 2 years ago by

BEA ALONZO with the family of Dr. Solon 
Guzman; and 
Dr. Zenia Sanchez and Nilo Sanchez; during the Meet and Greet with Bea on July 26, 2013 at Kalayaan

Other Community Round-Up

Posted 2 years ago by

Kol Hope Raffle Winner

TORONTO–Canada Philippine Fashion Week and Kol Hope Foundation in partnership with Galleon Travel is proud to announce Hazen Belen as the winner of the Grand Prize Raffle Draw for a Round Trip Ticket to the Philippines Congratulations! The Raffle Draw was held at the Philippine Consulate at 4pm on Thursday August 1st, 2013, and the 

Posted 2 years ago by

8th Annual Kultura Filipino Arts Festival

Kapisanan Philippine Centre for Arts & Culture and San Miguel Beer Present TORONTO–The KAPISANAN Philippine Centre for Arts & Culture, Canada’s premiere Filipino-Canadian cultural hub, has set the stage for the Filipino-Canadian renaissance in Toronto. From Top Chef competitions, to musicians on world stages; from the fashion runways to international galleries; from the New York 

Posted 2 years ago by