Community

Aureus_solo2

OBITUARY: Angeles J. Aureus March 30, 1921 – January 1, 2015

Angeles Javier Aureus, 93, a leader in the Ontario Filipino seniors community and the widow of the first mayor of Naga City, Philippines, died New Year’s Day surrounded by loving family in Brampton, Ontario. The widow of Leon Sa. Aureus was born March 30, 1921, in Palapag, Samar, a small, impoverished town frequented by typhoons 

Posted 3 years ago by

Aureus_solo

Memorial to Angeles J. Aureus: Remembering Lola

Extraordinary Mother, Grandmother By Leon B. Aureus (Actor, playwright, director and current Artistic Producer of Carlos Bulosan Theatre – Canada’s longest serving Filipino-Canadian theatre company) Boston Crème donut. As a young boy, when I first bit into my first Boston crème donut, I wondered if the creamy centre should have a slightly greenish tinge and 

Posted 3 years ago by

Mama, Grandma, Lola with her brood of three generations

Stubborn for love Proud for family

By David Briscoe For those of you who don’t know me, I am David Chesley Briscoe Jr., who along with Jess Villanueva, was the very first to be brought into this magnificent lady’s family, four decades ago. I speak now in her honor and memory for all of us who have become Aureuses, for those 

Posted 3 years ago by

‘We carry a little bit of you in ourselves’

By Nicole Buensuceso To her very last days, Grandma remained independent, vibrant, tenacious, courageous, faithful, generous, loving and strong in spirit even when her physical body began to fail her. – and these are the traits about her I find myself hearing over and over again as we all share memories about Grandma, and although 

Posted 3 years ago by

EVA-BDAY

Eva’s Birthday Party

Surprise birthday party at Music Box, January 4, 2015

Posted 3 years ago by

HELATH-Think-positively

Harnessing Stress

By Dr. George I. Traitses Stress has become a fact of life, and for some, the daily norm. Although occasional stress can help improve our focus and performance, living with chronic stress can backfire by causing anxiety, depression, and serious health problems. Understanding who we are, knowing our major struggles, putting them in perspective, and 

Posted 3 years ago by

GLAZED HAM

Christmas at Remely’s Filipino Restaurant

Walking into Remely’s Filipino Restaurant, it is evident that they are ready and excited for Christmas; the walls are decorated with wreaths and bows, and the sounds of Justin Bieber’s Under the Mistletoe album can be heard through the speakers. In addition to the warm, holiday aura, there is a certain bustle in the restaurant, 

Posted 3 years ago by

LECHE PUTO

Leche Puto and Yema Cake: New Christmas Traditions at FV Foods

At FV Foods, Christmas is a time to get innovative. This year, there are two new desserts to try. Leche Puto is soft puto cakes topped with a layer of creamy leche flan. “This process is hard to make, very time-consuming, but it’s worth it,” says owner Melchor Galeon. “It’s two of our all-time favourite 

Posted 3 years ago by

Kabalen’s Ube Maja de Fruta

Capampangan- Style Christmas at Kabalen

The Pampanga region is known for its culinary talents, and their dishes have often defined Filipino cuisine. And at Bathurst and Wilson, one restaurant is intent on making Capampangan food famous in Toronto: Kabalen. In Tagalog, Kabalen means “Kababayan,” which is the perfect name for the bustling turo-turo restaurant. Owner Jonald Quinto says, “It’s heartwarming 

Posted 3 years ago by

HR_IMG_1554

PHILIPPINES: A blind eye to human rights violations

By Mark A. Cadiz In an effort to raise awareness about the negative impact of mining exploration on indigenous communities throughout the world, the International Coalition of Human Rights Phillipines-Canada (ICHRP) led a public meeting in Toronto Saturday, Dec. 13 addressing their concerns. Days after the world acknowledged the importance of human rights for all 

Posted 3 years ago by